Sunday, 11 December 2011

PUSH-UPS: Dean Scott

So, what you pushing right now?
Two ebooks, ‘Druid’s Ruin’ and ‘Headlong to the Devil’…

What’s the hook?
Druid’s Ruin is a historical adventure based on a Roman invasion of Caledonia. Headlong to the Devil is a novella set to the backdrop of the Scots colonization attempt of Darién in Panama with an interesting twist.

And why’s that floating your boat?
How can you NOT get excited about Scots history?! The Darién Scheme is a huge part of Scots history yet it’s still fairly unknown. Thousands of people died because of it. Thousands more lost everything. It was because of the Darién Scheme Scotland signed the infamous Act of Union with Westminster to remedy the national debt, forfeiting the right to an independent parliament for nearly three hundred years.

And, what’s blown you away lately?
Loads… Stephen King’s new book ‘11/22/63’, about the JFK assassination… Eddie Vedder’s ‘Into the Wild’ soundtrack, from Sean Penn’s film adaption of Jon Krakauer’s awesome book… The nature of space: I’m writing a series of shorts about space at the moment and I get sucked in to the research.

See any books as movies waiting to happen?
I’m pretty sure most authors see their own books as movies waiting to happen. In fact, I’m pretty sure most authors write with half a mind on some kind of visual adaption.

My novella ‘Headlong to the Devil’ would make a great period-piece for BBC or C4, probably in the form of two hour-long episodes. David Tennant would be excellent in the lead role of Ben McMurdo.

My novel Druid’s Ruin would be more suited to a feature-length film. Who would play the leads? Gerard Butler could play Ghus. Who would play the Roman Governor Marius Flavius? Someone sneering but fun… Eddie Izzard? Kevin McDonald could direct!

Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?
I reckon the future of the mainstream publishing industry (as it presently exists) is pretty dubious. Paper books, love them dearly though I do, are far too expensive at the point-of-sale. Equally, publishers are less willing to invest in new authors due to the huge cost of publishing and promoting books.

I can see ebooks strangling the traditional industry pretty soon unless the publishers takes steps to counter it. What could they do? I’ve no idea. I’ll let them worry about that. (The music industry has struggled with a similar problem for the last ten years and continues to struggle.)

I think authors should embrace digital books as, in reality, it is future. Reading a book on your Kindle or laptop will become the norm soon due to the reduced price and accessibility.

You said ‘paper or digital’ but I love audio books as well. I don’t have time to read as much as I’d like, so with an audio book in my MP3 for walking and one in the kitchen for cooking I can get through much more that I otherwise could. Years ago there was a real snobbery in the publishing industry about audio books. I remember one editor (I won’t mention her name) said to me ‘the only people who want to listen to a book are people who can’t read properly’. Publishers of course love audio books nowadays because there’s so much money to be made with them. The fear has moved, perhaps rightly, to ebooks.

Shout us a website worth visiting …
Mine! http://www.wix.com/deanscott5/deanscott#

Finally, tell us any old shit about yourself …
Reading at present:
‘Skinner’s Festival’ by Quentin Jardine.
‘The Map that Changed the World’ by Simon Winchester

Listening to at present:
‘American Psycho’ by Bret Easton Ellis, read by Nick Landrum
‘Post Captain’ by Patrick O’Brian, read by Patrick Tull
‘11/22/63’by Stephen King, read by Craig Wasson

:: Originally from Castle Douglas in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dean Scott now lives in East Lothian.

No comments:

Post a Comment